Monday, November 16, 2015

Author: Linda Govik

Author Interview: Linda Govik

Book Title and Subtitle: Legacy

Genre: Historical Fiction


Linda Govik


Tell us a bit about yourself.

Well, as it says in my author bio, I'm a Swede who spent one year in Scotland, served Prince Charles at a venue and now thinks I'm as British as tea and toast... though some Englishmen will most probably disagree. History is a big interest of mine, and it's a blessing to be able to combine this with my writing - though I occasionally enjoy writing contemporary fiction as well. I'm an avid reader, and love all genres, from romance to mystery novels and cyber punk. In my daily life, I'm an office manager / safety officer.

What is one of your favorite positive sayings or quotes?

On writing: "This is how you do it: you sit down at the keyboard and you put one word after another until its done. It's that easy, and that hard ~ Neil Gaiman
On life: "We were born to be real - not to be perfect"

Who or What inspired you to start writing this book?

I've always been writing, ever since I learned how to write. I used to jot down opening scenes in notebooks (in those days, I had no computer). Just that: opening scenes. I never intended to finish any stories. That's how Legacy started, too - one scene and that was all. I grew up, and life took over... and twenty years or so later, a few of my friends, when hearing that I liked to write, asked me to send something that I'd written. For some reason, I dusted off the scene from Legacy. My friends asked me for more, and so I started writing... and some years later, Legacy was born.

What three words would you use to describe this book?

Riveting, inspiring, uncompromising

Who is your target group for this book?

I thought it would be females, aged 18+.... but as I've discovered that men seem to enjoy the story as well, I'm really not sure anymore-readers of historical fiction, perhaps?

Tell us about this book.

Emily Bradley, an orphan born in a brothel in a small English town in 1784, flees after her first forced encounter with a client, Lord Charles Stanford. Five years later, he tracks her down and forces her into marriage in order to manipulate her and their son to secure his vast legacy. Emily must deny everything she is and loves, her art and her new country life, to keep the truth from his aristocratic family or face Lord Charles’ murderous temper. When she’s offered a commission to paint a portrait at the Royal French Court of Joséphine Bonaparte herself, Emily sees a chance to break free from her miserable life – but it means forming an alliance with the enemy of England, potentially exposing all her secrets, and possibly losing her son. Emily is forced into the hardest choice of her life: where her fate and her son’s future, hang in the balance.

Do you have a favorite chapter from this book?

Yes. I think it is when the main character meets the brother of the antagonist - a tortured soul with whom she connects, if only briefly. It's a lovely little scene, I think, which was very nice to write. But (this will sound very self-absorbed, but never mind)... I actually have a few other favorites in this book. I like the story.

What makes your book stand out from the crowd?

I used "uncompromising" as a word to describe my book, and that's what I think makes it stand out, just in the way that, for example, Diana Gabaldon's books are uncompromising - it's not a book for wimps. I haven't seen that in any other regency novels before (at least not that I've read).

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

It's available as both (also as Kindle Unlimited).

Tell us the link where potential readers can buy this book.


Any additional links?


Is there anything else you would like to share about this book?

This is the first book in a planned series. The sequel is currently being written. The plan is to launch early in 2017.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your world.

Plan2Win