Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Author: Derek Ailes

Author Interview: Derek Ailes and Co-Author James Coon

Book Title and Subtitle: Musings From A Demented Mind

Genre: Horror

Derek Ailes


Tell us a bit about yourself.

I am a science fiction/horror author from Valparaiso, In.  I am known as one half of the Ailes Brothers of Terror. Mark Cusco Ailes is the other half.   I am the author of three horror anthologies: "Zombie Command: A Horror Anthology", "Journey Into the Unknown: Deluxe Horror Edition", and "Catfurnado, Zombies and One Killer Doll".  On Sept 7, my latest anthology  "Musings From A Demented Mind" will be released.
I’ve been writing professionally since 2012 after a lengthy hiatus from the writing field after my first short story “The Night of The Living Redheads” was published locally in 1994.

Who or What inspired you to start writing this book?

"Musings" is a collection of horror and science fiction short stories based on the conversations and details of the life of my friend who died from complications from diabetes back in March of this year.  This anthology includes stories written by J.C. from the late 60s up until a week of his death.  I have his writing folder and there are several stories which will be released in the coming years in other projects since they don’t fit with the theme of this anthology too well.  It will be split into multiple parts.  Part one is the stories written by J.C. and stories based on his life and conversations I’ve had with him over the past fifteen years.  Part two includes all the stories published on Shortfictionbreak.com since December 2014, stories based on current events from this year, plus strange stories I wrote with little or no sleep.  Part three is basically a mini biography, eulogy, and behind the scenes details about each story and the facts and the true stories behind them.  This is a collection of my best work.  My heart and soul went into these stories.

What three words would you use to describe this book?

Vintage, Horror, Anthology.

Who is your target group for this book?

People who love reading horror and watching the old Tales From The Crypt and Twilight Zone episodes.

Tell us about this book.

From the demented minds who watched every Tales From The Crypt and Twilight Zone episode and read every Vault of Horror and Strange Tales comic book comes twenty-two brand new tales of horror and science fiction. Proceed with caution as Derek Ailes and James Coon take you on a journey through madness with zombies, vampires, aliens, mutated cats, twisted twins, deadly women, killer dogs and one pissed off Elvis Presley. When you think it is safe to continue on, they hit you with another horrific tale. Musings From A Demented Mind is a gripping, suspense-filled supernatural anthology.

Do you have a favorite chapter from this book?

Elvis Presley Has Left The Dead" is my favorite story from the anthology.  My brother and I were interviewed by The Times Newspaper and when the photographer showed up at the book fair we were set up at, he took a picture of an Elvis cardboard standout that was advertising a fellow author's book and used that picture for our article.  Nothing says the Ailes Brothers of Terrror better than Elvis Presley.  After reading the article, I wrote this short story about me going on an anti-Elvis crusade forcing Elvis to come back from the dead to confront me.  Elvis goes around turning all my neighbors into Elvis impersonators.

What do you hope people will gain from reading this book?

The first part of the anthology includes six stories written by my late friend.  The reader will learn a lot about my friend and why he was brilliant from those stories.  In the third part, the biography including my eulogy, they will learn a lot about his life and how it relates to the stories.  I want the reader to have an enjoyable and frightening time through this journey of horror madness.

Is your book in Print, ebook or both?

It is available on paperback and on Kindle.

What advice would you give to other Writers?

Write, write and write.  Do not give up.  The marketing aspect of writing can be frustrating and rewarding at the same time.  My brother and I have had a blast the past several years.  Writing should be fun.  Once the fun is gone, it is time to move on.

Tell us the link where potential readers can buy this book.

You can pre-order the book now on Amazon http://authl.it/B013Q1BH8I?d
It will be available on September 7.

Any additional links?

My official website: http://www.derekailes.com

Is there anything else you would like to share about this book?

You can learn more details about this book here: http://www.derekailes.com/james-coon---musings-from-a-demented-mind.html

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview and allowing us a glimpse into your world.
Plan2Win